Situated 3.5km (2 miles) southwest of Dundalk, the pond and fishery consists of 2 hectares (5 acres) of natural woodland, grassland, willow copse, water meadow and pond habitats and is packed with bird and animal wildlife.
The pond came about when in 1817 the then owner
of the land Mr. Matthew Fortescue the land owner of the Stephenstown area contracted Mr. William Gault to build two ponds to his precise specifications.
Mr. Gault was married to Agnes Burns sister of the
famous Scottish poet Robert Burns. When the construction was complete Mr. Gault and his wife moved onto the estate where Mr. Gault became manager and secretary to the owner.
The upper most part of the woodland area of the estate is called the canopy and it is composed entirely of mature trees. Beneath it is the under storey where the younger trees and saplings are to be found. Below this is the shrub layer populated by various shrubs and bushes. Finally is the ground layer composed of mostly herbs and ferns.
The pond area is noted both nationally and internationally as a nature sanctuary and conservation area and for the diversity of the wild life to be found around it environs.
In 1995 the area comprising of both cottage and pond was
developed not only as a nature park but also as a conference centre.
The Agnes Burns Cottage & Visitor Centre is situated adjacent to
Stephenstown Pond Amenity Park. This an area of outstanding natural beauty right on our doorstep and as the weather gets warmer and the days lengthen it is well worth a visit.